Monday, October 22, 2007

Getting Out Of Dodge

We are to leave for Maui in the morning. It's hard to feel festive and in the mood for a vacation when hundreds of thousands of people are out of their homes. When the sun and sky look like something out of an Apocolypse movie set, I get the heebie jeebies.

As of now our friends are safe. Some have lost homes, others are cleaning up smoke damage. The fires are raging and converging.

The airline we're taking is allowing passengers from San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, and surrounding affected airports to make changes to itineraries due to the flames. I'm not the best of travelers, so I call and convince the agent at the other end of the line that I need to fly from San Diego to San Francisco in order to actually get out of town tomorrow. My husband agrees and lets me manage this.

I'm worried for our friends and the others affected and not happy about leaving town. Then again, I'm having a hard time breathing, so leaving town is my only option.

Our prayers will be with everyone back here.

No comments: